COVID-19 Guidance for Research and Sponsored Programs (11.06.2020)
COVID-19 Guidance for Research and Sponsored Programs (11.06.2020)
SF State’s Office of Research and Sponsored Programs continues to operate as normal. The ORSP team will continue to support proposal submissions, assist with post-award transactions, as well as process human/animal subjects protocols. If you have any questions, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grant Funded Staff/Student Assistants
Grant funded staff and students will be paid during this time for scheduled hours. Please note, for hourly staff and student assistants, hours will still need to be entered (by the staff/students) and approved (by PIs) in Gateway as usual in order for staff and students to be paid. This may change in the future we will do our best to communicate to those it affects as quickly and clearly as possible.
We strongly encourage PIs to follow the 7 business day internal deadline for finalizing budgets, budget justifications and abstracts for internal review. Given the priorities on campus at the moment, we need to allow adequate time for internal and review and approval. https://research.sfsu.edu/applyforgrant/route
Since many PIs will not be on campus, ORSP will process as much as possible electronically and via DocuSign. Please set up your DocuSign by logging in with your UIN and password at https://docusign.sfsu.edu/
During this time we are encouraging the use of Zoom for meetings with ORSP staff in order to reduce the need for in-person meetings.
Please note this is not an exhaustive list.
National Science Foundation
- NSF Letter to Community Regarding COVID-19 (Important Notice 146)
- NSF Implementation of OMB Memorandum M-20-17
- Impact on Existing Deadline Dates
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for NSF Proposers and Awardees
- Statement on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
NSF Guidance for Major Facilities and Contracts Regarding COVID-19
- Coronavirus Information
FAQs relating to NSF’s implementation of OMB Memorandum M-20-26 for NSF proposers and awardees and for NSF major facility cooperative agreement recipients are available on NSF’s website.
NSF Funding Opportunities
- Dear Colleague Letter on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
NSF is accepting proposals to conduct non-medical, non-clinical-care research that can be used immediately to explore how to model and understand the spread of COVID-19, to inform and educate about the science of virus transmission and prevention, and to encourage the development of processes and actions to address this global challenge.
- Dear Colleague Letter: Provisioning Advanced Cyberinfrastructure to Further Research on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
The Office of Advanced Cyberinfrastructure is inviting RAPID proposals and supplemental funding requests to existing awards that address COVID-19 challenges through data and/or software infrastructure development activities.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the NSF Dear Colleague Letter on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (NSF 20-052)
- NSF Supporting Research to Address Coronavirus Disease blog
National Institutes of Health
- Extended Guidance for Applicants Preparing Applications During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- NIH FAQs: COVID-19 Flexibilities for Applicants and Recipients
- NIH Message to Applicants and Recipients of NIH Funds on Flexibilities Needed for COVID-19 (video message from Dr. Mike Lauer, NIH Deputy Director for Extramural Research)
Proposal Submission & Award Management
- NIH Late Application Policy Due to Public Health Emergency for United States for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - NOT-OD-20-91
- NIH Late Application Policy Due to Public Health Emergency for United States for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - NOT-OD-20-082
- General Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Proposal Submission and Award Management Related to COVID-19 - NOT-OD-20-083
- Flexibilities Available to Applicants and Recipients of Federal Financial Assistance Affected by COVID-19 - NOT-OD-20-086
Human Subjects & Clinical Trials
- Guidance for NIH-funded Clinical Trials and Human Subjects Studies Affected by COVID-19 - NOT-OD-20-087
- FDA Guidance on Conduct of Clinical Trials of Medical Products during COVID-19 Pandemic
- OLAW Webinar: Pandemic Contingency Planning and Its Impact on Animal Care - March 19, 2020
- Flexibilities for Assured Institutions for Activities of Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees (IACUCs) Due to COVID-19 - NOT-OD-20-088
- Based on NIH Guidance on Travel and Meetings , in-person NIH peer review meetings are being held in alternate formats. Scientific review officers will be in contact with peer reviewers about these changes.
NIH Funding Opportunities
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- Coronavirus Information: Message to NASA Contractors - Assistant Administrator for Procurement Message on Coronavirus
- March 24 Update on NASA Response to Coronavirus
United States Army Medical Research Acquisition Activity (USAMRAA)
Department of Defense
- Frequently Asked Questions for DOD Research Proposers and Awardees Impacted by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19
National Endowment for the Humanities
National Endowment for the Arts
- NEA Resource Hub
Institute of Museum and Library Services
California State Agencies
State of California Coastal Conservancy
- In the meantime, if you are a current grantee or contractor of the Conservancy, you know that the Conservancy requires paper invoices with original signatures. We are making every effort to get approval to process invoices electronically. Starting immediately, please submit your invoices BOTH in paper (via the mail as usual) and electronically. The electronic version should be a complete copy of the paper invoice and should be emailed directly to your Conservancy Project Manager. We are also working on approval for electronic signatures on new contracts and grant agreements. If you have mailed in an invoice to the Conservancy in the past 7-10 days, it would likely speed the processing time if you emailed the electronic version to your project manager now.
Department of Education
- Additional Resources for Higher Education Institutions:
- Federal Student Aid issued Coronavirus Information for Students, Borrowers, and Parents. (March 20, 2020)
- The Office of Postsecondary Education issued a COVID-19 FAQ and Guidance for interruptions of study related to Coronavirus (COVID-19). (updated March 20, 2020)
- The Office of Postsecondary Education issued Information for Accrediting Agencies Regarding Temporary Flexibilities Provided to Coronavirus Impacted Institutions or Accrediting Agencies. (March 17, 2020)
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) issued guidance on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and Potential Procedural Adaptations for F and M Nonimmigrant Students. (March 9, 2020)
- The CDC issued Interim Guidance for Administrators of US Institutions of Higher Education (IHE) to Plan, Prepare, and Respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). (March 2, 2020)
Council on Governmental Relations (COGR)
- FAQs Regarding COVID-19’s Impact on Federal Awards
- Institutional and Agency Responses to COVID-19 and Additional Resources
State of California
Office of Management and Budget
- Memorandum (M-20-20) "Repurposing Existing Federal Financial Assistance Programs and Awards to Support the Emergency Response to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)"
- Memorandum (M-20-17) “Administrative Relief for Recipients and Applicants of Federal Financial Assistance Directly Impacted by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) due to Loss of Operations”
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Information valid as of November 6, 2020