The California Alliance for Hispanic-Serving Social Science Advancement (CAHSSA) Faculty Research Networking and Grant Writing Opportunities
The California Alliance for Hispanic-Serving Social Science Advancement (CAHSSA) is pleased to announce the launch of new opportunities in 2022 - 2024 for social, behavioral and economic sciences faculty, in the UC and CSU systems to forge cross-institution research networks and collaborations and to develop grant proposal writing skills.
CAHSSA is funded by a Build and Broaden grant from the National Science Foundation and coordinated by a diverse team that includes Dr. William Wagner (CSUCI/SSRIC), Dr. Leslie Ponciano (CSU CO), Dr. Barbara Walker (UCSB), Dr. Holly Hapke (UCI), and Dr. Belinda Robnett (UCSB). Its objective is to help social science faculty, especially at Hispanic-serving institutions, obtain external funding for their research and scholarly activities.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities:
● Faculty Survey (available now) on barriers and obstacles to grant proposal submission
- CAHSSA is conducting research to identify the barriers and obstacles to grant proposal submission faced by faculty at Hispanic-serving institutions. To kick off our research effort, all social, behavioral, and economic sciences faculty are requested to please complete this survey now about your research and grant proposal writing experiences.
● Virtual webcasts on a variety of topics with networking opportunities (see 2022 schedule below)
- Starting in January 2022, CAHSSA will offer monthly grant proposal writing webcasts on a variety of topics with time to meet and network with faculty with similar research interests from other UC and CSU campuses across the state.
● Virtual grant writing peer groups (must have attended min 3 webcasts)
- Beginning in June 2022, CAHSSA will organize the formation of virtual writing groups.
● In-person writing retreats for collaborative projects (must have attended min 3 webcasts)
- In September 2022 and 2023, CAHSSA will conduct in-person writing retreats to support collaborative grant proposal writing in the social, behavioral and economic sciences.
2022 Webcasts (Registration is open now!):
Jan 27 Registration Thursday, Jan 27, 12:00-2:00
Strategic Planning for Research Careers at HSIs
Feb 18 Registration Friday, Feb 18, 10:00-12:00
Funding Strategies for Social Scientists at HSIs
Mar 17 Registration Thursday, Mar 17, 12:00-2:00
Anatomy of a Winning Proposal
Apr 22 Registration Friday, April 22, 12:00-2:00
Developing Grant Budgets
May 19 Registration Thursday, May 19, 10:00-12:00
Describing Social Science Methods in Proposals