Submitting an Animal Protocol
An animal protocol must be submitted to HAP to begin the review process for any research and teaching projects using live, vertebrate, non-human animals, as required by federal law and SFSU policy.
In addition, all researchers using animal subjects are required to complete the online Animal Welfare course, "Working with the SFSU IACUC," which takes approximately 2 hours. A course completion report will be issued after you complete the course. The certificate must be provided to HAP. The certificate is valid for 3 years. Protocols cannot be approved without this certification.
To register for the course, go to http://www.citiprogram.org/
- Proceed directly to "New Users Register Here."
- Choose "San Francisco State University" from the drop-down menu.
- Click "Submit."
- Choose a user name and password. Write them down. You will need them again if you choose to take the course in more than one session, or if you ever need another copy of your course completion report.
- Fill out the required fields in the next two screens. When directed to the CITI course enrollment procedure page, please scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Question 1."
- The required course is "Working with the SFSU IACUC." When you finish the required course, optional courses will be available.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Submit." You will be redirected to the Learner's Menu.
- Scroll halfway down the page and click on "Not Started-Enter."
This will take you to the Introduction and modules required to complete the course.