Hiring Hourly Staff
Once you have determined that you want to hire hourly staff, follow these steps:
- Fill out HR's Staff Position Description, submit to your ORSP HR Specialist
- From this information, the HR Specialist will let the PI know which classification to use and the related salary information
The PI will let their HR Specialist know
Duration of the position appointment
Rate of pay
Project number to be charged
- If the PI knows who they want to hire, they will ask the employee candidate to contact the HR Specialist to complete a hiring packet
- If the PI does not know who they want to hire, the job will be posted and the standard SF State interview and selection process will be followed; once an employee candidate has been chosen, they will complete a hiring packet.
- After all forms have been completed the HR Specialist creates an ETRAC. The PI must respond to all ETRAC-related emails with the appropriate action in HRMS.
- Hourly staff must complete and submit Absence Reports in a timely manner, paying attention to deadlines
- Hourly staff are paid on the 15th of each month
Of Note with Absence & Additional Time Worked Reports:
- PIs verify that employees submit monthly Absence Reports on time and accurately report sick / vacation leave
- If Absence Reports are not submitted to ORSP on time, or if leave is incorrectly reported, inaccurate financial statements may be submitted to the funder (e.g. if leave is not recorded, the grant is not credited, and the funder may be overcharged)
- When employees claim sick / vacation leave, this is a CREDIT to the grant
- PI's may not ask employees to claim sick / vacation leave to secure a credit to the grant. Sick / vacation leave must be used and reported according to applicable University policies and collective bargaining agreements.