Hire Research Fellows
- Are temporary appointments typically lasting 1-3 years
- Have already earned a Ph.D.
- Work under the mentorship of a PI or administrator
- Perform a variety of work in support of a research project or scholarly activity
How to hire a Research Fellow:
Research Fellow (Postdoctoral) appointments are not governed by collective bargaining and do not require formal recruiting procedures. The Research Fellow classification is used to appoint:
Faculty during intersession periods on sponsored project accounts, and
- If recruitment is necessary, the PI should contact an ORSP HR Specialist. A brief paragraph for the recruitment advertisement must be reviewed and approved by the HR Manager.
The PI must submit the following to the HR Specialist prior to hiring the Research Fellow:
All resumes received during the open recruitment period for the position
A completed Recommendation for Research Fellow Appointment form that includes the project number from which the Research Fellow will be paid, time base, compensation rate, and appointment dates
- The HR Manager reviews and approves the Recommendation for Research Fellow Appointment form
- The Research Fellow candidate schedules an appointment with an HR Specialist and completes all hiring documents and the hiring document's Form
- The Research Fellow candidate must schedule an appointment with Marilyn Jackson in the Office of International Programs on the first day of arrival in the U.S if a visa is required
- Research Fellow completes and submits monthly Absence and Additional Time Worked Report (STD Form 634) in a timely manner, paying attention to deadlines
- Research Fellows are paid on the 1st of each month
- Please contact an ORSP HR Specialist if you have any questions.
- Once you know you want to hire a non-US citizen to work as an international Research Fellow on your project, contact the ORSP HR Manager to arrange for the appropriate visa. This may take several months, so please begin the process as early as possible.
- If recruitment is needed, the PI submits the appropriate documents to ORSP at least 2 weeks prior to publishing the position opening
- There are 2 types of Research Fellows: Postdoctoral Researchers and Postdoctoral Scholars